Sunday, April 26, 2009

Prompt: Miscommunication






Meet You at the Station

Before cell phones we waited until people got home to talk
She waited until she was absolutely positive he wasn’t going to meet her
Then she licked her wounds thinking this wasn’t going to fly
I thought he was into me but he stood me up
Good thing I’m at the station I can catch up on paperwork

He waited two hours after he got off shift
Doing the crossword puzzles and watching morning TV waiting
Getting underfoot as A shift made the station their home for the next 24
She’s just not coming but I really thought she’d call
I’d have heard if she’d gotten in a wreck but no 911 on Ford trucks today

They don’t know each other and they don’t know each others station
For him it had always been engine number 9
For her it was KSTM and the whole world knew that
Today they said they’d meet each other at the station
They both showed up and never made the connection

1 comment:

Unknown said...

clever and haunting at the same time. makes me wonder - what if?