Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Prompt: work


The Greatest Gift

A twenty year history of cheap stationary
Stained with the ink of ball point pens
Documenting the child donning a profession
Stretching from the Midwest to the Southwest
Told to her first friend from college
In cursive penmanship that became
Less rounded and more implied over time

This stack of letters you gave back to me
Is a treasure few will construct in this day
Where taking a pen to paper is an awkward novelty
Not a map of the moment to a far away friend
A friend who wouldn’t see the letter for several days
Where even the most diligent wouldn’t have
The answer back to your hands in less than a week

Here’s the water stain from my first Heineken
In 1977 I set the green bottle down on this very paper
The ink smudged where it wasn’t dry
Telling you how rich I felt buying that six pack with
My first paycheck from my first radio job
I remember how it tasted and how cold it was
I’ll never forget that beer either


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss handwritten letters with water stains, finger prints or a speck of red sauce. My hands are stiff now and I am happy for a responsive keyboard, but I do miss paper, pen and dna evidence.