Sunday, April 12, 2009

Prompt: complete the sentence "So We Decided to___"




So We Decided to Fish

Cutting bait stinks
Walking on water is tough
Line in, line out rhythms
Give, take, tension, release
Pull in the line, cast again

We could no longer wait
For the fish to jump into the boat
Too many sharp edges in baiting
Pick up the gear and walk on
Wet the line and douse the doubt

Doubt is so worn to our footprints
So warm on cold mornings
Very reassuring in an odd way
There was never any guessing in it
It was always the same and so sure

We don’t have to catch fish just
Get the line in the water
Over and over again until
You have skills
And no doubt

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE the third stanza.

I fished with my grandfather, my father, my brother and the father of my children. The other womenfolk fried the rainbow trout that I proudly brought back to camp.

Bleep Baby said...

Fishing is one of my favorite things I learned in college.