Friday, April 10, 2009

Prompt: Friday



A Very Good Friday

Tuesday I learned the song of the chicakadee
Sweee Deee Deee it sings
This morning amidst the chorus of birds I heard
Swee Deee Deee before I’d even opened my eyes
I said good morning back to that particular bird for the first time
I called it chickadee by name thinking Good Friday indeed

I continued work on my new garden path
Moving two dozen wheel barrows of wood chips
Shoveling, dumping, smoothing and tidying
The fine rain that fell barely wet my jacket
Until some scattered sun
Organized into a break from the gray

I left my work for the chair cupped in the Hazelwood
The branches dangled the leftover pods but no leaves yet
I stretched to my full length and breathed the early April air
Closing my eyes I heard the chattering chickadees land in the tree
One of them flew down and tousled my hair
Saying good morning back to me in particular, for the first time

I cried that the birds would know me
Wept in the sweetness of spring
Sobbed that I took so long to learn that song
Again when my dog comforted me in my tears
With her head across my shin
She confirmed that we’re all the same thing

I went to the store to buy the Easter ham
Dense rain greeted me on my way out
I walked right into it to share that clean and it
Slowed to a drizzle when I got to my car
Turning I looked up to the boldest rainbow of my life
Horizon to horizon brilliant red, gold and blue to purple

It was a very good Friday, indeed

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm reading this on a Friday. A good Friday. A first Friday. A May Day Friday. I hear birds chirping, but the bale of my neighbor's lonely dog is louder.